Awards & Recognition Earning BIA Accolades
The BIA provides several opportunities for members to be recognized for exceptional work and lifetime achievement in the building industry.
We are now accepting nominations for the BIA Annual Awards and Hall of Fame.
BIA Annual Awards
At the end of each year, the BIA holds its annual Inaugural Celebration and Awards Ceremony recognizing outstanding members from the past year. The incoming President and Board of Trustees are sworn in, and the outgoing President is recognized. In addition, members are honored for encouraging the American dream of homeownership, maintaining professional excellence and supporting the standards and policies of the BIA.
Irving E. Schottenstein Builder of the Year Award
This award was renamed in honor of the late Irving E. Schottenstein, co-founder of M/I Homes, and is given to a builder member for encouraging the American dream of homeownership, maintaining professional excellence, and supporting the standards and policies of the BIA.
Rising Star Award
The Rising Star award was created to honor emerging leaders in the industry.
Associate of the Year Award
This award is given to an associate member in recognition of high business and ethical standards and contributions to the home building industry and the BIA.
Remodeler of the Year Award
This award is given to a builder member who is active in remodeling in recognition of high business and ethical standards and contributions to the home building industry and the BIA.
Citizen of the Year Award
This award is given to a non-BIA member who has performed service resulting in major benefits to the community and the building industry.
Washburn Schofield Memorial Award
This award is named in honor of Earl Washburn and Byron Schofield, two outstanding past BIA members, and is given to a member of the BIA who has performed service resulting in major benefits to the building industry and the community.
BIA Hall of Fame
BIA Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame inductees are members who have made the greatest contribution to the BIA since the formation of the Association in 1943. This award is presented annually to those who have demonstrated exceptional qualities of leadership as well as displayed exemplary dedication to the industry and their community as a whole. Congratulations to all of the individuals who have been inducted into the BIA Hall of Fame since its inception in 2005.
The Building Industry Awards Hall of Fame recognizes members that have an unprecedented history of exceptional service and is the highest honor a member can receive.
Induction year in parentheses
- Edward Bacome, Epcon Communities (2017)
- Raymond Barry, Raymond Barry, Inc. (2005)
- Larry Bellman, Contract Lumber (2007)
- Don Borror, Borror Properties (2015)
- Danny L. Brown, Parksite (2011)
- Bruce H. Burkholder, Isaac, Wiles, Burkholder & Bringardner (2012)
- James Deagle, Candlelite Homes, Inc. (2010)
- EMH&T (2015)
- Philip Fankhauser, Epcon Communities (2017)
- William Fannin, Sr., William Fannin Builders, Inc. (2005)
- Ernie Fritsche, The Fritsche Corporation (2005)
- Jack Graf, Graf & Sons, Inc. (2006)
- Ben Hale, Smith & Hale (2015)
- Roger Hatch, W.R. Hatch Builders, Inc. (2005)
- Donald Kelley, Donald W. Kelley & Associates (2017)
- Milton Lewin, Hamilton Parker Company (2005)
- Carlyle Perry, Jr., C.V. Perry Builders (2007)
- F. Stevens Potter, Potter Homes (2008)
- Charles Prior, Charles Prior Builder (2006)
- Robert Rankin, Bob Rankin Builder (2006)
- H.R. "Buss" Ransom, H.R. Ransom, Inc. (2009)
- Charlie Ruma, Virginia Homes (2005)
- John Sandefur, Sandefur Building Co. (2007)
- Irving E. Schottenstein, M/I Homes, Inc. (2012)
- Russell Shaeffer, American Electric Power (2009)
- George Skestos, Homewood Corporation (2015)
- Fritz Smith, Decker Construction Company (2006)
- Harrison W. Smith, Jr., Smith & Hale, LLC (2011)
- Wilbur "Wib" Strait, The Strait & Lamp Group (2008)
- Page Vornbrock, Page M. Vornbrock & Associates, LLC (2007)
- Bob Webb, Bob Webb Homes (2013)
- Robert "Bob" Weiler, Sr., The Robert Weiler Company (2017)
- Pamela Yost, Grand DesignGroup, Inc. (2010)